Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

First blessing of 2012

Our little girl, Charlotte, has just turned 4 years old. She seems older some how. I haven't quite put my finger on how, but maybe it's in her face, or just in her eyes. She shines more clarity and understanding with the world around her. She looks more deeply into our faces, she plays more intently, she's demonstrating more tolerance and patience. Now, I'm not suggesting that this has been an overnight flip of a switch, this has been a gradual process leading up to her birthday. It seems these are appropriately streamlined with where she is in her development. It seems as though we have a most angelic being on our hands (as one might feel about any of their children :) )!


We started the morning off with lots of snuggles and discussion on the days events. It was a weekend day so Daddy was home, which made the day that much better! We slowly climbed out of bed and found Charlotte's older sister Bella waiting for her with open arms for 'birthday' hugs. Together they made Charlotte's favorite breakfast, pancakes, and just to make it that much more special, Bella put a candle on her pancakes and shared a secret singing of "Happy Birthday". I came in at the last minute and was able to catch a snapshot......it was a very sweet stolen moment for the two girls.



I have always wanted to make my children crowns for their special days. I had one for the big kids when they were younger but I didn't make it.  I was working full time and hadn't the time or the confidence to make one. Well, years have passed since I walked out of our home to leave for a full time job, so, I've had the luxury of being able to study  and practice the art of handiwork. So, I took the leap this year (a New Year affirmation or one of my 20 wishes to do more handiwork with and for the children). It was a labor of love, just like my Charlotte. I spent 3 hours doing the hand sewing on the front and then left for my parents to get help from my Mother who uses a sewing machine. She helped attach the backing, the binding and the elastic strip in the back. All in all, it was about 5 hours of time, probably won't take this much time for the next one, the first one is all about learning! Both, my Mother and I, felt this crown was perfectly Charlotte; 4 star buttons for each year ( I will add another one for each year forth coming), a beautiful star shaped flower in the middle, purples and dark pinks as these are her favorite colors. Additionally, the Queen for the day wore her beautifully handmade 'birthday' cape that her Auntie Pfeffa gave her last year! She was definitely our royalty for the day!



Charlotte has such a lovely imagination when it comes to her ideas for cakes. Her first birthday cake was a banana cake (by the time she was one year old her favorite food was bananas!). Her second cake was the same thing, just in cupcake form (not much had changed except these had peanut butter chocolate frosting on them!). Her third cake was strawberry cupcakes with strawberry frosting (her new favorite fruit). But this year, she dreamed of a chocolate strawberry cake with sprinkles.......so for fun, I made an ice cream cake. It was super easy and fun to make (a spring form pan is what makes it easy!); seeing as I love ice cream and could sneak bites after each layer. It took about 3 hours for each layer (you spread a layer and then freeze for an hour in between). Then before her party began, I made some whipped cream and frosted the cake with it and stuck it back in the freezer until we were ready for it! Oh, and did I mention I made some of the cookie, crunchy, fudgy goodness that sits between the vanilla and chocolate layer! Yum! Yum! Yum! This cake was a divine success!


We had a simple day filled with family. No big, over the top gifts.......crayons, paper, play dough, a doll, a book. It was a sweet day full of sweet intentions for our little girl.



We're savoring these moments, as they slip away as fast as the time that pulls them. Thank goodness for the memories and the laughter that filled our home and our hearts; the smiles and appreciation from our little Charlotte with every gift she received; and when she received a "Happy Birthday" greeting she returned the sentiment with a smile and a "Happy Birthday to you" in return. So, in her eyes, it was every one's birthday. Everyone received a gift by sharing this day with her, just as we all are so lucky to receive when we share these special moments with any of our dear ones. To celebrate the joy that we all receive in one's life within our own.......what a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...